Hometown: Raytown, MO (Raytown HS)
Nooner named MVP in Barnstorming tilt, 4/23/2001
Former KU guard Terry Nooner, who is a Special Education teacher at Southeast High School in Kansas City, is helping put together a NCAA-sanctioned Pro-Am League that will start on June 19 and run for more than a month at Penn Valley Community College. Most of KUís players are planning on competing in the league which will have night time doubleheaders several nights a week. No admission will be charged. No more than two players from a college team will be allowed on the same squad. Ex-Jayhawks Michael Lee and Kirk Hinrich are expected to compete.
KU coach Bill Self, who was a fan of a similar league in Tulsa when he coached the Hurricane, earlier was looking into the possibility of having such a league in Lawrence.
Nooner, who grew up in Raytown, Mo., coached a 10th grade AAU team last summer and does individual workouts for hire at the Jewish Community Center in Johnson County. Heís been a teacher the past five years.
KC Summer forecast calls for hot hoops, 6/18/2007
Email from Terry Nooner, 11/10/2007:
Since graduating from KU undergrad in 2000, I:
- Live in Kansas City
- Completed a Master's Program in 2002
- I have been a high school Special Education teacher for 6 school years and I currently teach at Southeast High School at Manual in Kansas City, MO School District
- I coached a 17 & under AAU boys basketball team 1 summer for my good friend Earl Watson (Seattle Supersonics)
- I am the Varsity Boy's Basketball coach at Southeast High School
- I coach a 7th grade girls AAU basketball team named Lady Phenom, which is sponsored by the KC Pro Am
- I am the President of KC Pro Am Inc. A non-profit organization that organized a summer pro basketball league her in Kansas City last summer (www.kcproamhoops.com). The league had 8 teams, and we partnered with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater KC to get kids out to the games and meet some of the athletes. Next summer, we plan to have a celebrity weekend, give out scholarships, and many other exciting things for the community.
- I have no children and got married on July 28, 2007. Myself and Billy Thomas were married on the same day within an hour of each other.